This heavenly salad is a revamp of an oldie but goodie that I posted back in 2011! Watermelon Feta Salad <–whoa, check out the difference in photography! I have learned a lot, and have gotten a whole lot better. There is still so much to learn though, and I am so happy you’re here for the ride!
I’ve really updated this salad to incorporate some more textures and flavors. The quinoa gives you some protein, while making the salad more hearty – enough to eat on its own. Sweet cantaloupe and watermelon have a nice contrast with the salty feta cheese and the grilled peppers add a nice, charred depth of flavor. I especially love the fresh watercress here. Not only does it look beautiful, but the peppery bite gives a new meaning to “Salt (feta) and pepper (watercress)”
I dressed the salad in a white balsamic dressing which really rounds out the salad nicely. I used a melon baller to make the fruit look pretty! (If you click the link and decide to purchase from my link, I receive a small percentage of the sale)
The Jewish holiday of Shavuot is coming up soon, so if you celebrate and are looking for a change in your dairy go-to, look no further.
Melon, Watercress + Feta Salad with White Balsamic Dressing
For the salad:
- 1 Bunch Watercress
- 1/4 Block of Feta cheese cut into small dice (or crumbled)
- 1 cup cooked white quinoa
- 1/2 cup watermelon, cut with melon baller
- 1/2 cup canteloupe, cut with melon baller
- 1/2 cucumber ribbons (using peeler)
- 3-4 mini peppers, grilled or broiled until soft. Sliced and seeds removed
- 1 Tablespoon fresh mint leaves cut into "confetti" (follow me on Instagram to find out what that is) or chiffonade
For the White Balsamic dressing:
- 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon freeze dried basil
- 1 Tablespoon shallot, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 turns of the peppermill
- Make the dressing first, by mixing all ingredients in a mason jar and shaking vigorously. Allow to sit + let flavors meld together,
- Mix all ingredients gently with your hands and drizzle dressing once ready to serve. Toss together gently and enjoy.