I’m Sandy, welcome to Plantains & Challah. (formerly The Kosher Tomato ) If I had to choose two foods to represent me, it would be Plantains & Challah! (I was born to a Colombian-Argentinean-Jewish family) YES, Latin Jews exist!
I am proud to say I am trained at The Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY and I cooked professionally for over 10 years. I have been fortunate to work with some really amazing chefs in New York City during that time.
My goal is to empower home cooks with knowledge and give them more confidence in the kitchen. To inspire.
I love the feeling of teaching someone something they didn’t know before. I love helping people do something better or faster in the kitchen. I want to be your culinary resource!
What you’ll find here
I’m a mom of two, so you’ll find real life, delicious recipes that are pretty simple – because I strongly believe that if your TECHNIQUE is correct, then you can make some pretty amazing things, with few ingredients.
My recipes happen to be Kosher, and sometimes you’ll see them Latin American inspired. I also share food related articles, kitchen tips & tricks and how-to videos. Feel free to reach out with any questions or recommendations!
- In 2008, I was featured as one of the “HEEB 100” (Jews doing cool things)
- In 2009, I became a finalist for filming The Food Network‘s Season 2 of “CHOPPED”, I backed out at the end and missed the opportunity.
- I organize my closet by color
- I LOVE to clean and organize. And rearrange. (My husband is very understanding of this.)
- I am terrible at math, but great with knife skills
- I am fluent in Spanish, but my accent is kind of all over the place, prompting Latinos to always ask “De donde eres?”
- love ZUMBA, dance in general, and singing.
- When it comes to music, I love everything from Classical symphonies, to old school hip-hop and most things in between. (But mainly, I am obsessed with Hip-hop)
- My bucket list used to include travelling to at least one country on each continent. Not sure it is still possible with a FT job, two kids and a blog; but hey, you never know!
Subscribe to get delicious food to your inbox and follow me on social media
@Plantainsandchallah everywhere, except twitter which is @plantainsandchalla without the “h”) I love to engage with you and answer your questions or comments 🙂