This post contains an affiliate link which means if you purchase products through this link, I will receive a small percentage which helps keep The Kosher Tomato blog running. All opinions are my own.
I like that the wine gives it that beautiful deep color, the blood orange balances the sweet and bitter notes and it truly feels like a “sauce” and not an overly sweet jam.
- 12 ounces whole fresh cranberries (frozen would also work)
- 12 ounces water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 ounces Cabernet Sauvignon ( I used Zmora which has fruity and floral notes)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 blood orange, zest, “supremed” – which means I removed just the flesh from the membranes & juiced (I did not use a micro plane, instead just lightly peeled, making sure not to peel the “pith” – white part as well)
- 1 or 2 slices blood orange for decoration
- Combine cranberries and water and cook over moderate heat until the berries pop open. Add the sugar and mix well.
- Once thickened a bit, add the wine and allow it to cook out for approximately 5 minutes or so.
- Add the zest, juice and cinnamon stick and cook until you have reached your desired consistency. You can always add water to thin it out.