These are a few tips and tricks I have gathered over the years. I am sure there are plenty more, but these are all I can remember now. I’ll post more as they come to me. Enjoy.
1. Use a string of dental floss to slice through a log of goat cheese.
2. If you are out of coffee filters, use a strong paper towel.
3. If your brown sugar has clumped together, use a box grater to separate it.
4. If you are measuring out honey – put oil in the measuring cup to keep it from sticking
5. Roll out your lemons with your forearm to get the juices flowin’.
6. If your jar lid is too tight to open, hit it around the circumference with the back of your
knife –it will release the air and loosen the lid.
7. If you have used a coffee grinder for grinding spices, add dry, uncooked rice and pulse for a
few seconds. It will remove the spice aroma and clean out the base.
8. To make peeling hard boiled eggs easier – butter your thumbs. (or olive oil)
9. If you over salt a soup, drop in a potato – it will absorb the excess salt.
10. Coffee beans work great to remove funky odors from your hands in the kitchen.
11. Freeze left over wine in your ice cube trays and add it to braises and sauces.
12. After cooking fish in your home, simmer a pot of peeled apples and cinnamon. (Then you
can make apple sauce later). The fragrance will remove the nasty fish funk.
13. Place lemons in cold water and into your fridge – they will last longer.
14. Place peeled ginger in the freezer for a longer shelf life. You can grate it directly into your
15. Clean cast iron cookware with kosher salt and a dry towel.
16. Place a piece of white bread on top of burned rice for about 5-10 minutes to draw out the
burned flavor. Be careful not to burn out the burned pieces of rice.
17. Add rice to your salt to prevent clumping
Please share your tips and tricks!